Happy New Year’s Eve everyone! I hope you all have fun, safe celebrations tonight to ring in a fabulous new year. I am so excited about 2013, the number 13 has long been one of my favorite numbers. And while I don’t believe in luck, I do believe that I have it in me to make it the best year possible. I know some people have strong feelings about new year’s resolutions, I think if you hate them, then don’t make them, if you love them , than do. I happen to love them, I love the idea of a fresh start, setting goals and reinventing oneself if you are so inclined. I don’t think a reinvention is what I am looking for in 2013 but probably a more consistent and braver version of myself.
I do believe that smaller more short term goals are usually more attainable so I will keep my sweeping year long goals to a minimum. Here are my tangible (measurable) goals for 2013
1. The biggest goal is to finish Ironman Lake Tahoe in less than 14 hours. This is the biggest athletic goal, everything else is secondary to this goal.
2. I would like to PR in a full and half marathon this year as well as the half ironman.
3. Run 1,000+ mile and Ride 3,000+ miles. I would like a swim goal as well but will have to think more about the distance.
4. Stay on track with grad school
If I accomplish those four goals it will be an amazing year, I would also like to reach for some intangibles, but since they aren’t really measurable I won’t call them goals.
1. Be Brave, last year was a lot of firsts for me so I think I was very unsure and cautious about training and racing. I wasn’t sure I could finish an ironman until I started the marathon on race day. Now that I know can complete one I would like to believe in myself more put more into training and be brave enough to really race on race day.
2. Be more consistent – This is important in training, school and work so I want to be better about consistency. I think this is too much to make a year long goal but it will play a part in my short term goals.
3. Have more fun – now that I know a little bit more about training for an ironman I want to make sure I am weaving as much fun into it as possible without compromising training.
Do you make resolutions? If so what are your big ones for 2013?
Life Through Endurance says
Hey I’m doing IM Lake Tahoe this year too! And I have a similar goal – I definitely want to do under 14 hours and would like to shoot for 13.5. Consistency is definitely on my list too. My more tangible goals are to go to bed at the same time every nite (part of the consistency goal) and practice guitar for at least 3 hours a week.
I’d love to hear more about your IM training once we get into the thick of it…I haven’t been doing much but will get back on the wagon soon!