I am trying to be patient, I really am, but it’s not something I am good at. This trait has gotten me in trouble in the past. I want to do all the race and I want to do them RIGHT NOW. The trouble is when I try to do too many things too quickly I tend to do everything not that well or worse not at all.
So I am trying to be patient with planning races, on getting back into shape and with my body. It is very tempting to try to race long this year, but I know that would do me no good. If I try to race too soon it would e nothing but sad and slow and I would likely get injured.
That being said I have always been one to do better when I have a goals race to train for. So I have started to plot what races I would like to do in 2017 and the big question is Ironman or Ultra. I really want to do both but I know I need to choose. There are good reasons to choose either one:
- A length that I know I can do and love!
- Doing all three sports will help me get in shape quicker without getting injured
- I enjoy training with local triathlon clubs
- Swim bike run is so much fun and I always miss it when I take a break
- There is an awesome race in my backyard that I have never done
- I have done Ironmans but I have never done a 50 or 100 mile trail race
- I LOVE trail running
- It seems so much less overwhelming to focus on one sport
- I have wanted to race in the Leadville series for years now
- Leadville isn’t exactly in my backyard but it’s close enough to get out on the course to train on weekends
I will keep soul searching until one becomes the clear winner (I am slightly leaning one way already) but either way my focus for now is strength training and building back base fitness.
What would you do, Ironman or Ultra?